Monday, June 11, 2007

There And Back Again


In one of my first blogs I discussed occupational bulimia: periods of intense work (binge) followed by periods of complete non-productivity (purge). I’ve now found another bulimic aspect in my life: sex. It should be noted that the two cycles are definitely independent of each other. My occupational bulimia occurs over a full 2 week cycle; sexual bulimia often occurs at a temporal scale of many months.

Like most newly out gays, I went through the characteristic whore phase when I was 22-24. Countless numbers of men fell victim to my sirenous smile, abs, and butt. *Binge* Of course, that was back during the Clinton era, when we were all expected to get blow jobs from every Mark, Rick, or Steve. I look back in fright about how stupid I was back then; so naïve. Well it all came to a head with a couple visits from Venus in rapid succession, along with my best friend getting “sick.” It definitely scared a sense of responsibility and chastity into my life. *Purge* I went through a period where I’d only hookup with guys I was dating. On average I’d get laid about once every 6 months or so. And since my average dating longevity is 2 months, there wasn’t even much of an oasis between the deserts. It looks like that period has ended.

And hopefully I will have learned something from when I was 24’ish, and not need to revisit the doctor as frequently as I approach 30…less I fall victim to the resurgence in HIV that has plagued the gay community due to complacency.

3 comments:

Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

I guess I just don't get this HIV hysteria. Oral sex- pretty much no chance. Wear a condom- pretty low chance. Discuss hiv status with your partner. Even if you are tricking this is totally acceptable. Avoid drugs that cloud your judgment (incl too much booze). I guess if you take the right precautions, the risk is low, much lower than dying on the beltway. Maybe I am very sexual, but I would never let a small risk of hiv stop me from having sex.

The Consummate Aries said...

I guess its less HIV and more the hassle of other things that are MUCH easier transmitted, last a lifetime, cause annoyance and embarassment, etc. I mean, who wants general herpes or warts??

PennStateVR6 said...

No one does, but you can always check for bumps, rashes, etc. as long as you're not intoxicated and you should communicate properly with the trick. What kind of 2-for-1 bottom shelf specials are you going for anyway?

Worrying to that extent isn't healthy. If I applied that logic to something else I like as much as sex, e.g. food, I would never eat chicken, eggs, beef, uncooked vegetables, farmed or fresh fish, processed foods, etc. I mean, who wants salmonella, mad cow's, mercury poisoning, etc?