Monday, May 14, 2007

Occupational Buhlimia


I often joke about being occupationally bulimic--a binge and purge in productivity. I've always enjoyed observing work dynamics (as its a form of people-watching). I'm surrounded by two different groups here in my bureaucratic cubicle: budgeting and a research group. It seems like neither ever do any work--which is expected of any good federal employee. But at least they're consistent with their level of effort and output. For example, the budget head is discussing the complexity of making lemon bars right now. Fascinating. (I really hate all things lemon, besides alcohol)


So back to the topic at hand: occupational bulimia. My job is a little management, a little production--my group does graphics and media production, so I dabble in it when I'm bored of being a manager. Lately my manager:graphics ratio has been dropping. So yea...sometimes we'll output 2 or 3 animations a day. Of course, afterwards I go home and crash. *BINGE* I track it all on a calendar. In contrast, we've done two things this whole month. *PURGE* Amazing. I've spent most of my time lookin out the window at Caribou Coffee wishing I could somehow cram more caffeine into my system (while praying for their stock to go back up).

3 comments:

PennStateVR6 said...

My biggest challenge is having to deal with rubber-banding productivity during the day, and how it doesn't match up with anyone else's. I come in before 8 in an attempt to work out at lunch and leave by 5. All too often I'm wrapping up my day, having put up a few script updates, written some documentation, or spent the day reading blogs, and someone will waltz into my office at 4:55 asking me to check/work/produce xyz. We all have our natural rhythms and I find it impossible to work full steam ahead 100% of the time.

The Consummate Aries said...

Yea...but I forgot to mention that my buhlimia occurs over the course of weeks. One week I binge, the other I purge. Its never on a daily cycle

atlwreck said...

does this mean i was an occupational anorexic?