Tuesday, May 15, 2007

No, I really am an environmentalist!


I don't think I need to qualify myself as an avid environmentalist. Hell, I've held three job titles that included the word "environmental"...and no, I wasn't a janitor. I gave up my car for an urban lifestyle; bike, walk, or Metro everywhere in DC; turn of my lights and other hippie-like behaviors. But I gotta disagree with today's Washington Post Express article about biking to work. Their arguments for the switch to the bike were pretty weak--obviously the writer drives to NE DC every morning. This column coincided with the news that DC is #5 on the list of worst cities for road rage--something that doesn't mix well with bikers. And we all know that cabbies and bikers mix like Sunni and Shia. The biggest problem with the article is that they focused on long haul commutes of over 10miles--even I wouldn't bike that. They should've found DC residents that do the relatively common 1-2 mile commute--a relatively easy and incredibly fast bike commute, where an extra set of clothes isn't necessary, nor does it take an hour. Do you really think that most people are going to stick with an hour bike ride from NOVA to NW DC? The rest of my points will be bulleted to save ranting room:
  • DC is a hilly town
  • Most people aren't going to save oodles money...they won't get rid of their cars entirely, and a good bike (something with gears that piss you off after a week of wondering why the front derailleur wont work right) will set you back a good $800. Plus at least $100 a year in maintenance.
  • The idea of "joining a local gym" for a place to shower after the bike just adds to the above argument. Tack on $75 a month for that one--DC gyms are a fuckin ripoff.
  • I need more coffee: end rant

With that said, in a utopian world, we'd all bike or Metro to work. Actually, we'd have briefcase space cars like in the Jetsons--its 2007, where the hell are they?

No comments: