Thursday, May 17, 2007

I know you can swing $5

Maybe my gay root comes about from my father making sure that I knew how to properly iron my clothes, tuck in my shirts, pick matching ties, belts, socks, etc (not to mention critiquing news anchors when they made a fashion faux pas). He sure as hell didn't spend much time teaching me car mechanics or how to throw a football. So with my proper training (i.e., finishing school), I set out on the world of professionals and am now forced to critique their obscure fashion choices. One of my pet peeves stems from a lesson my father taught me earlier on...its necessary to have both "crew" and "V-neck" undershirts.



Nothing looks more ridiculous than people in business casual open collar dress shirts with their undershirt showing underneath. I do business casual almost every day now (as compared to tie everyday when I first started...I guess next year I'll wear flip flops). And in my dresser you'll find two stacks of undershirts...crew (when I wear a tie) and V-neck (all other days). And its not like this is an expensive addition to anyone's wardrobe. Go to Target, get some Hanes in both styles, and quit pissing me (and my dad) off!!

4 comments:

PennStateVR6 said...

Not sure I agree. Sometimes I can't stand when men wear v-neck undershirts and open-collar button downs with the top buttons undone because it shows a jungle of messy, unkept chest hair (shudders). Maybe I just don't undo enough buttons, or lack the massive man boobs to push the collar open, but my undershirt doesn't usually show.

I do follow your rule with sweaters though. I hate when a crew-neck undershirt sticks out beneath a v-neck sweater. As much as the GAP and JCrew tried to make it cool in the early 90's, it just didn't work.

The Consummate Aries said...

Well my mother also raised me to shave every day...no unkept chest hair (even if I could grow a jungle). And you only have to unbutton 1. But the guidos you refer to usually dont wear any undershirts, as evidenced by their sweaty pits.

atlwreck said...

hmmm...i do this one all the time. sure a V-neck might look better but that's way more manscaping than im willing to do on a regular basis. does this apply to polos as well? honestly this breaking news for me.

and no, undershirts are not cheap for us non-working folks.

i realize you're just making a point but we both know there are for more ridiculous fashion disasters out there.

Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

I disagree, I think the white is totally hot. To me it is very sorta uptight, white collar professional that does it for me. Not to mention it often brings a nice contrast to the shirt. I am so gay.