Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Supreme Chancellor

I love the term "Chancellor"...I think it conveys more power than any other title, even viceroy (probably #2). Today's local news has included Mayor Fenty's appointment of Michelle Rhee as the new Chancellor of DC Schools--Fenty's attempt to seize control of the languishing DC School District and hopefully repair it to at least a moderately functional status.

As a former teacher, I'm left somewhat apprehensive about this choice. DC Council Chairman Gray said, "She hasn't had a vast amount of management experience...There will be a wait-and-see period." I couldn't agree more. Apparently she only has 3 years of public teaching experience, then left to form a non-profit for teacher training. Over the course of these last 7 years I've tutored, TA'd, taught high school and college, and sit on our Education Council, but don't think I could ever handle the role of Chancellor. Hopefully she'll prove me wrong; luckily I don't have kids to worry about.

No comments: