Friday, August 24, 2007

The Single Life

After freely admitting that he'd toss me like a cum rag, GCC wonders 'why I think I'm single'. *Deep breath*

I think I've thrown around this "problem" before, as I'm constantly asked about it. To begin, I've had 3 real relationships in my life. I classify them as that since at some point I cried over the person I was with. As you all know, there's the now infamous Nicole, who most of the team has met, but also JR and Erik. Others I'd just classify as dates. I think in all of those cases, each person will testify to the fact that I'm a giving person. I gladly go the extra mile for big things, but never forget the little things. And even when a relationship ends, its rarely on a bad note. I'm still friends with all my ex's.

So why have I been single now for 5 years? (Odd isn't it? That's also the same length of time its been since I bottomed) I definitely have some theories to explain this question, lemme break em down:


  1. Nomadic lifestyle. In the last 5 years, I've moved from ATL to FL to ATL to FL and finally to DC. Finding a relationship usually takes time, and no one moves without a little heads-up. Usually it takes me a good 6 months to meet a good group of friends and settle into a new city. From there it takes some time to meet the right guy via networking. As addicted as we all are to online man-searching, I've found that's rarely how the good ones are discovered. I don't date new-arrivals, and wouldn't expect anyone else to date me soon after moving--damaged goods.

  2. Physical stature. Let's face it, most gay guys don't like smaller guys. The ones that do usually have issues (chicken hawks, the need to dominate, or they're even smaller than 5'6). I don't have a preference, necessarily, for any particular size. Though I do get hot 'n bothered by big "mountains of man". However, they almost NEVER want someone who's my size. Let's also not forget that most people assume short = full of attitude (arguable in my case). But I like all shapes and sizes.

  3. The Aries personality. Some people really dislike my outspokenness, sarcasm, and biting sense of humor. I admit it, sometimes I should hold-back on certain comments, as many people can only throw punches and can't take em. As much as I throw, I take a regular beating too. Hell, my whole childhood was a verbal assault from peers. Above all else, personality it the clincher for me. The guy MUST be able to have dynamic, free-flowing conversations. I enjoy silence, but that should be a minority of the time. Some conversations are completely meaningless--back n forth comedy, but at least they keep you entertained. Not everything must be, for an example, a discourse on the intricacies of gene regulation or stable-state dynamics in ecosystems.

  4. Miscellaneous. I reject the notion that a top wouldn't be interested in dating me. I'd gladly switch to a 50/50 or even 40/60 relationship. However, this categorization plays a large roll in how people deem the compatibility of a potential "mate."

For some reason I focused all of these points on the negative...as if something is wrong with me for the reason of being single. Maybe nothing is wrong and I'm just 1. too picky and 2. not putting myself out in situations where I'm more likely to meet guys. Who knows. I'd love your assessment!!

1 comment:

Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

Interesting. I was surprised how many were external- moving around, height... I often look internally for my singleness, which is telling. I do think the height thing is a small issue. And it relates to the Aries thing as well in my book- classic Napoleon complex.