Thursday, August 9, 2007

My Favorite Injun, Part II

As I first described here, there is a very colorful bum who sits outside my office building, at the Silver Spring Metro overpass. His antics are legendary, at least in my small universe. Today was the coup de gras...a personal interaction with the "Silver Injun." At around 9:40 I gave into my coffee craving, not having any 1/2 and 1/2 in the fridge at work, I decided to walk across the street to Caribou and purchase a chalice of my favorite nectar of the gods. As I walk out of the glass doors in my building, there's the Silver Injun down the walkway...not in his usual Metro location. He sees me 30 feet away and starts a ritual. I wasn't sure if it was tai-chi or an incantation--I guess we'll find out if I die in the next 36 hours. Of course I walk by him as if he's not there. Bums are dead to me, they're not real people. And unlike Haley Joel Osment, I don't see dead people.

As I return with my Organic Light Blend, creamed and sweetened, there he is again...and we have yet another mono e mono. As if the incantation didn't suddenly make my wallet burst forth and spill into his Big Gulp cup, he decides the mumble-yelling "HO! WA! HE!" might do the trick. I walked into the safety of my federal contractor-protected building, wondering, "Did I just hear a dead person?"

2 comments:

ice cube frenchie said...

Oh. Very moving story. But please, stop butchering my native language. :o)
It's "Coup de GrĂ¢ce". The way you spelled it ("gras") means FAT. I know you're obsessed about fat (and being fat), but come on.
What happened to all these french lectures you attended in college?? Your teacher should ashamed!!!

The Consummate Aries said...

HAHAAA. I could never understand why the term "gras" was used, since as you stated, it means "fat". Never realized it was "grace"...yea, that does make more sense now. I figured it was just something lost in translation--as many french sayings are.