Monday, September 17, 2007

The Swarm

I'm not a big fiction novel reader, usually a story has to have some plausible tie to reality--which is why I typically only read historical fiction. The only true fictional books that I have read in recent memory were the J.R.R. Tolkien books (Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Simarillion), of course I enjoyed them, as I live for the movies. One of my coworkers convinced me to read a relatively new book, The Swarm. Its an oceanographic science fiction--which appeals to my inner marine biologist. Like LOTR, this book is HUGE...886 pages (and only one picture).

The Skinny on the Fatty Book:
I am a man of little patience when it comes to life, though I try my hardest when dealing with people. Let's just sat that a good 350 pages could have been edited out of the current version of The Swarm simply from unnecessary dialog and plot lines that are irrelevant to the final story conclusion. The author, Frank Schatzing, did an incredible amount of research for this book, and it seemed he like to prove it. Then there's the dialogue..."GET ON WITH IT!" (I kept hearing Monty Python scream that in my head) But if you're not an ADD reader like myself, and enjoy a good yarn, the story is quite fascinating--much like The Matrix in its ability to make you question your understanding of life and consciousness.


Major Plot line: Weird shit starts happening in the oceans--whales attack boats, deep sea worms destabilize methane seeps, toxic endoparasites are found in lobsters, etc. After the continental shelves collapse and a mega-tsunami wipes out all of northern Europe, it is discovered that all these problems are linked. The world, lead by the U.S. (odd since it was written by a German), tries to solve the problem combining scientific and military might. The revelation? A species of amoeba-like algae have evolved a consciousness much like, and superior to, humans. It is able to analyze and solve problems, strategize, and communicate. It can also invade and control any life form it interacts with. To overcome this threat, man must recognize that he is not in control of Earth.

Overall Grade: B

1 comment:

PennStateVR6 said...

A book review, this is a great! I don't know how you managed to read 800+ pages of what sounds like a corrupt version of the little mermaid. In any case, keep up the reading and reviewing, looking forward to the next one.