Monday, September 24, 2007

BAM!!

Following the lead of my dear swim-wife the Arian-Mexican Offspring, I've decided to post recipes that I make that turn out well. By recipes, I mean creations or ConsummateAries-originals. I cant remember the last time I followed a written recipe while cooking (which is why I don't bake), so bear with me...there are no measurements when I cook...just a sprinkle of this or that and a dash here and there.

With that said, this weekend I tackled a food that I have never attempted to cook before, and only rarely attempted (read *was forced*) to eat: brussel sprouts (BS). The bane of dining for most children. I figured that I could improve upon them. So here's what I did....


  • Prep the BS by cutting off the bottom stem nub, halving, and removing the tough outer layers of leaf; wash and set aside

  • In a large skilled over medium heat add a little olive oil and 1/4 lb of diced thick slice bacon; render out the fat (but leave in the pan) til crispy

  • Before the bacon is completely crispy, add 1/3 diced Vidalia onion and two diced garlic gloves; sautee

  • Add the BS, sautee for a few minutes, stirring occasionally

  • Add at least 1/2 cup of white wine or apple juice to the hot pan to deglaze; let the alcohol burn off for a minute; cover and simmer

  • When the BS are tender, add 2tbs of butter to the pan to thicken the sauce

Always remember to continually taste for salt and pepper (or other seasonings as you go thru the cooking process)

No comments: