Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A Step Backwards

Reverse evolution is the process by which a more derived trait of an organism degenerates into the the more ancestral version over time. The textbook example is cave fish--since they live in areas without light, the production of maintenance of eyes or other visual sensors is a waste of energy (and thus lowers fitness), so over time, cave fish have lost their eyes though other physiologies have evolved to adapt to their environment.

Today, like the cave fish, I took a step back. (I'd like to think that since leaving the PhD program with a MS, this is my only other case of reverse evolution.) Moving to DC was a significant accomplishment--new city, new well salaried job, new apartment...new life. Things were changing for the best. Not knowing anyone here, I moved into a 1 bedroom apartment by myself. If someone told me back when I had my first apartment in NC (paying $300/month) that I would some day spend $1500 on rent, I would've said "You're fucking nuts!" Amazing how shit happens. Ever since I was 24 and had enough of living with shitty roomies, I've lived alone--a major evolutionary step in maturing.

Step backwards.

As luck would have it, I'll soon be living with The Imelda. We just signed the lease today...and granted our new place is large, its probably not large enough for her 1,060 pairs of shoes. Though I'm not "scared" of living with her, I am somewhat apprehensive about living with someone again. For one, I rarely wear clothes while at home. Its nice to just be able to lay around in underwear or walk around naked. Also, though I rarely have sex, it will be odd having to restrict myself to times/places in the apartment that are convenient. No more sex on the living room floor I guess. And back to muzzling those screaming bottoms. Luckily I have my own bathroom. The good thing...my domestic side will come out--I love to cook, but not just for myself. And since we're on somewhat similar schedules, I'll hopefully have the opportunity to start cooking a lot more. And who doesn't want to save $400 a month?!!

3 comments:

Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

With you cooking the Imelda will get even FATTER.

Knitter said...

Congrats, I do suggest you stick to salads mostly. LOL, where are the new digs ?

PennStateVR6 said...

At least you guys won't be fighting over tricks... "no it's MY bottom, no MINE!"

Just remember to be vocal about any issues that come up, ie when you leave a nasty stain on her black hoochie pumps after borrowing them you should apologize profusely.

You forgot another benefit of living with Imelda, you now have a guaranteed ride to practice :) Congrats!