Thursday, July 12, 2007

Undershirts Part II

Previously, I vented about one of my greatest fashion pet peeves: the improper undershirt for the occasion. In my humble opinion (though there were several dissenting commenters), undershirts are to be worn to prevent sweat stains on dress shirts or provide more warmth, but not to be seen. I somehow overlooked another critical area: the undershirt showing through the dress shirt. Granted, I don't mind this for a dress shirt where you can see the sleeve line from the undershirt underneath. There's nothing we can do about that, besides buy better quality, non-paper thin shirts (which, as a Consummate Aries and perfectionist, I now do). The worst offenders are those who wear a tank top as an undershirt with a paper-thin dress shirt. My summer intern chose to violate this fashion faux-pas today; I saw him as soon as I got off the elevator this morning, its already ruined my day. What makes it even worse is that since he's black, you can see a high contrast through his thin yellow shirt, and the bright white tank top undershirt.

I digress, I never understood the point of the tank undershirt. It doesn't provide sweat management in the summer, nor warmth in the winter. Can anyone explain?

In closing, just as I don't want to see your underwear sticking out of your pants, nor dark underwear through your pants/skirt, I don't want to see undershirts either. Though as an aside, it did find it amusing that last night at practice, the new ripped, young, str8 guy on the swim team was prancing around the pool deck in his work pants and his CK's showing--and intentionally at that. Str8? I think not!

1 comment:

atlwreck said...

ok, this isn't a pet peeve of mine BUT like you im just entirely confused with the use of tank-tops as an undershirt.