Thursday, January 10, 2008

Twiddling thumbs

I like to think that I don't have the typical federal work ethic. Actually, I'm quite work obsessed when I'm in the office. Today is driving me absolutely nuts...I have 1 week til I leave for New Orleans for a huge conference and the chance to really make some $$$. My "To Do List" has 7 items on it--each one taking considerable amounts of time, all needing to be finished in a week. But here I sit...twiddling my thumbs, waiting for my computer to spit out the latest iteration of the project I'm working on. Amazing how it takes my system an hour to process 1/2 a job. Let's run down my configuration:

  • Dell Precision 690, Windows XP (no 64bit Windows allowed)

  • 2x 3.33GHz Intel Dual-Core Processors

  • 4GB RAM

  • 1TB Storage

  • NVIDIA Quadro FX 3500 video card

Its a pretty substantial system. Yet here I wait. And wait more. And keep waiting. UGH!! My work OCD is driving me absolutely insane! No wonder I'm so worn out after each work day this week.

No comments: