Sunday, January 20, 2008

Recover. Rebuild. Rebirth.

The last three years of my life have been in many ways linked to Hurricane Katrina: I experienced the storm first hand in Florida, and the aftermath of it and Wilma were motivators to move to DC. I've also spend countless hours working with documentary producers on the subject, creating and providing video and images of the storm, giving explanations, etc. So naturally, this visit to New Orleans has a certain appeal--see how things have recovered, compare it to before the storm, and get to see the town (version 2.0) that I've dealt so much with from afar.
Things here are definitely on a more reduced scale. Everything seems the same along Canal, Poydras, or the major streets in the Quarter, but the people are fewer and the energy is lower. Last night was the first parade of Mardi Gras festivities--and that was somewhat of a let-down. But an experience, nonetheless. The one thing that amazes me about NOLA, still, is the individuality of this city. Having lived in 5 cities, I can describe how each of them has a certain feel...but the character of NOLA is definitely stronger and more unique than any city I've visited, even more than NY I'd venture to say. I'm sure that, unlike the smell of piss in the street, no storm will wash that away.

No comments: