Wednesday, December 5, 2007

We're all a bunch of pussies

Back when I was a kid we used to walk 5 miles in 3 foot snow drifts in bare feet to get to school! As I sit here looking out my office window onto a winter wonderland (while scarfing down Cool Ranch Doritos...mmmm), I cant help but think how we were much tougher and resilient only 15 years ago. What's happened since to make us so soft as a people? When I woke up this morning, I could see out my window that snow had covered the neighboring roof--but just barely. I almost went back to sleep, assuming work would be postponed. Granted, I wasn't thinking rationally, but after I got out of bed I actually checked the OPM website to find out if the gov't was closed today. Not that 1/16" of snow necessitates closing businesses...but in reality, that's just what happens.

As I said, I distinctly remember things being different when I was in my teens...15 years ago. Maybe 1992 ushered in a new era of thinking in the U.S.: the Cold War had just ended; a democrat was just elected president, ushering in a new mentality; we were just starting to pull out of a recession. There was no longer a need to be stoic, steadfast, and intimidating...it was more a time of concern, compassion, and globalization. This was before the time of the $3million McDonald's coffee spill incident--a watershed for frivolous lawsuits. Ever since then, people have just bitched and not taken personal responsibility. Maybe at that time (I don't know) we installed some weak willed people as superintendents and city operators--those able to cancel school/government on a whim. As a kid and teen, I never would've dreamed about not going to school unless there was at least 8" of snow. Now...2" is enough to shutdown "The Most Powerful City in the World" or at least necessitate a 2 hour drive along a 10-mile stretch of road. Imagine how the USSR would look upon us now and hardly shudder at the notion of battling us.

No comments: